SASD Announces Employees and Volunteers of the Year
On Tuesday, May 25, the Sheboygan Area School District (SASD) Board of Education honored nine SASD employees who have received an "Employee of the Year" award. These nine employees have a total of 172.17 years of service to the SASD. Six community members were also recognized that night as a "Volunteer of the Year." The award ceremony was part of May's regular school board meeting.
Recipients of the 2009 -10 awards are:
- Judy Kapellen, Administrator of the Year, Coordinator of Instructional Technology, SASD Employee for 27 years
- Steven Pitsch, Custodial/Maintenance/Technician Employee of the Year, Custodian at Jackson Elementary School, SASD Employee for 7.5 years
- Betty Augustine, Educational Assistant of the Year, SAGE Educational Assistant at Jefferson Elementary School, SASD Employee for 20.5 years
- Connie Engelman, Food Service Employee of the Year, Food Server at Sheridan Elementary School, SASD Employee for 20.25 years
- Lynn Bitney, Secretary of the Year, Secretary at North High School, SASD Employee for 11.25 years
- Phyllis Becker, Elementary School Teacher of the Year, Fourth Grade Teacher at James Madison Elementary School, SASD Employee for 23 years
- Thomas Thorpe, Middle School Teacher of the Year, Eighth Grade Social Studies Teacher at Horace Mann Middle School, SASD Employee for 17 years
- Karen Sullivan, High School Teacher of the Year, Family & Consumer Education Teacher at North High School, SASD Employee for 9 years
- Monica Bonestroo, Specialist Teacher of the Year, Guidance Counselor at Wilson Elementary School, SASD Employee for 16.42 years
- Lynda Larson, Adult-Elementary Level Volunteer, Volunteers at James Madison Elementary School
- Laurie Cassidy, Adult-Secondary Level Volunteer, Volunteers at North and South High Schools
- Susan and David Prater, Intergenerational Volunteers (Co-recipients), Volunteers at Jefferson Elementary School
- Sharon and Dan Daun, Volunteer Program Organizers (Co-recipients), Volunteers at North High School
The Employees of the Year received a framed certificate in commemoration of his/her recognition and their name will be added to the plaque that is displayed outside the Board of Education room honoring past recipients. In addition, each recipient will receive one additional vacation/personal day to be used by the conclusion of the following school year. The Volunteers of the Year will receive a plaque for their honor and a plaque with their name is awarded to the building for display. In addition, the picture of all awardees will be printed in the 2010-2011 District calendar.
SASD employees, students, parents or community members or agencies can nominate an employee. The nomination process consists of completed nomination form accompanied by letters of recommendation. Two Board of Education members and the Superintendent choose the Administrator of the Year. A selection committee consisting of the previous year's winners and community members choose the other employees of the year and the volunteers of the year.
Sheboygan Area School District Press Release
May 18, 2010