Department of Human Resources
SHEBOYGAN AREA SCHOOL DISTRICT
830 Virginia Avenue
Sheboygan, WI 53081
October 9, 2013
The following vacancy exists in the Sheboygan Area School District. All interested persons shall make written application to the Assistant Superintendent of Human Resources by 4:00 p.m. on October 17, 2013. The Sheboygan Area School District does not discriminate on the basis of age, handicap, marital or parental status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sex or sexual orientation.
Applicants should provide the following to ensure consideration:
• cover letter
• district classified application
SPECIAL EDUCATION (CROSS CATEGORICAL) EDUCATIONAL ASSISTANT
URBAN MIDDLE SCHOOL
1. Minimum of two years of college (48 college credits) or an associate degree.
2. Wisconsin DPI Special Education certification #883 (or certifiable).
3. Successful experience working with autistic students.
4. Must possess basic computer and word processing skills and be open to expanding knowledge and skills.
5. Ability to relate well with middle school students (aged 11-14) and staff.
6. Self-motivated, well-organized, able to follow specific behavioral plans, able to follow directions, accept redirection, and contribute to problem solving.
7. Must be able to assist students with physical needs (lifting, hygiene, etc.).
8. Assist teacher in providing instruction to individual and groups of students, for example: model correct grammar and articulation, correct reading miscues, modify and implement assignments for individual students under teacher supervision.
9. Ability to self-monitor and prioritize the daily/weekly duties of the position with little supervision.
10. Ability to provide daily written communication to parents.
11. Ability to work cooperatively and communicate effectively with special education and regular classroom teachers as well as assist with one-to-one student instruction (under the direction of classroom and special education teachers).
12. Ability to follow established procedures/routines with students, yet flexible and willing to implement new behavior systems when needed.
13. Knowledge of/experience with/willingness to be trained to work with specific disabilities (such as autism) and behavioral interventions.
14. Bus duty (riding the bus with students) may be required.
15. Must be CPI (Non-Violent Crisis Intervention) trained or willing to be trained.
This position will involve 7.0 hours per day, Monday through Friday during the school year. The starting rate for this position is $11.37 per hour. Prorated benefits.
Supervise and work with students throughout the building. Work closely with an autistic student, including documentation of the student’s behavioral program under the direction of the teacher. Assist with assignment modification when necessary. On a rotating basis, provide supervision of and processing for behavioral needs of students, according to IEP specifications. Maintain a positive demeanor even when behaviors escalate or stressful situations occur. Duties may also include clerical tasks and other duties as assigned by the teacher or administrator.