Department of Human Resources
SHEBOYGAN AREA SCHOOL DISTRICT
830 Virginia Avenue
Sheboygan, WI 53081
June 18, 2013
The following vacancy exists in the Sheboygan Area School District. All interested persons shall make written application to the Assistant Superintendent of Human Resources by 4:00 p.m. on July 5, 2013. The Sheboygan Area School District does not discriminate on the basis of age, handicap, marital or parental status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sex or sexual orientation.
Applications will be accepted only through the Wisconsin Education Career Access Network (WECAN). Go to: http://services.education.wisc.edu/wecan/pub/vList.cfm?inst=7342 to view the vacancy and to submit your application materials.
SOCIAL STUDIES TEACHER - 40% POSITION
1. Must be Wisconsin DPI certified in History (725) and Broadfield Social Studies (701).
2. Prefer candidate hold a Wisconsin DPI license in Psychology (740).
3. A willingness to be trained or have training in the following areas: Multiple Intelligences, Making Thinking Visible, Advisory, Guided Discipline, Reaching and Engaging All Learners, and Project Based Learning.
4. Strong communications skills, both written and oral, as they apply to parents and fellow staff members.
5. Ability and willingness to work in a collegial setting with staff.
6. Evidence of successful parent involvement strategies.
7. Evidence of commitment to own professional growth.
8. Have training/experience in working with CWD and ELL students in an integrated setting.
9. Willingness to be involved in extended-day teaching activities and/or programs.
This position requires the candidate to teach social studies including American Studies, Global Studies, and Global Issues. All classes are taught from a thematic framework looking at common concepts and issues across history and cultures. Each class integrates a literature component and academic writing and will therefore require the candidate to team-teach with the language arts teacher. In addition to social studies classes, the selected candidate will have an advisory that meets daily and will work with a cohort of students during the project block.
IDEAS (Innovation through Design Engineering, Arts and Sciences) Academy is a public charter school within the SASD. IDEAS Academy uses a progressive approach to education coupling academics and arts/design/engineering coursework to create student led projects that solve problems or reinterpret issues and concepts. IDEAS Academy fosters a culture of creative and critical thinking in a democratic community based on decency and trust.
The selected candidate will work with a diverse set of special needs students to support their learning in all subjects and projects. Additionally, the selected candidate will meet daily with an advisory of 15 students to help guide their learning. For more information, please visit www.ideasacademy.org.