James Madison Elementary School has an established discipline plan. A key ingredient to an effective school is a safe and orderly environment. A proper discipline program is necessary and your support of it is greatly appreciated.
- Students will use quiet voices in the lunchroom.
Consequence: A traffic light noise meter will be used to monitor the noise level. If red light goes on, all students will maintain silence for remainder of the lunch period.
- There will be 16 students per table (4 students per bench).
Consequence: If the table with your friends is full you will need to find another seat. No squeezing in.
- Students will be responsible for cleaning up their space after eating. Garbage will be thrown out when table is dismissed.
Consequence: Non-compliance means that table of students will have to wait until all the other tables are dismissed and try again.
- When lunchroom supervisor raises a hand, students and staff will stop talking.
- Students will remain seated at table until dismissed (except when condiments are needed).
- Students will raise hand if assistance is needed.
- Two students will be allowed to use the bathroom at a time (bathroom passes will be used).
- Students will follow directions the first time they are given.
Consequence for Rules 4 – 8: Non-compliance will result in sitting at a designated table in silence.
- Respect others – keep hand and feet to yourself.
- Do not jump off any equipment.
- Follow directions the first time they are given.
- Use equipment properly.
- Do not throw objects (including snowballs, ice chunks, wood chips and dirt).
- Bikes and scooters should be walked on the playground.
- Rollerblades removed.
- Skateboards should be held.
- No tackle football, king of the hill, play fighting or playing rough.
- No spitting!
- Do NOT go under, over, or around the fence.
- No playing on the east side of the building.
- Stay away from the building and bike rack.
- Play on the blacktop, playground equipment are and the field area.
- Do not bounce balls against the building.
- Students must line up immediately and quietly when the bell rings. They should enter into the building quietly showing respect for the “Learning Zone”.
- Show respect for other classrooms. Use quiet voices.
- Play appropriate classroom activities and games.
- No running, jumping, rough housing or other potentially dangerous or disruptive activities.
Please review these rules with your child before the start of the school year.
- First Warning: Student must be on the square for 5 minutes or until the bell rings.
- Second Warning: Student must be on the square for the remainder of the recess.
- Discipline Slips will be given for aggressive behavior and inappropriate language.
|Extra Winter Expectations
Failure to follow school rules will result in the issuance of a Disciplinary Slip. A slip is a notice of inappropriate behavior.
- Discipline slip sent home to be signed by parent and returned to school
- Phone call home/or parents place of employment
- Conference with Dr. Driscoll, parent and student to determine an appropriate course of action
- Outdoor recess suspension
- In-School Suspension
- Out-of-School Suspension
A child attending James Madison School on “Special Permission” from the District whose behavior is excessively inappropriate may have that “Special Permission” revoked and be asked to attend his/her “Home School”.
In-school suspension (ISS) is a consequence that is served during the school day. A student assigned ISS will spend the day in the office or in another teacher’s classroom. The student will be provided with his/her work for the day and is expected to complete it before the end of the day.Out-of-school suspension (OSS) can be assigned for up to 5 days.