In November, the Sheboygan Area School District will be asking our community to invest up to $29,000,000 by supporting a referendum to update our facilities. The estimated tax increase is $4.00 for each $100,000 of a home’s value.
The Board of Education works very hard to be good stewards of tax dollars. It is for this reason that, as promised, the School Board has waited over ten years to propose another referendum to address pressing needs. The timing of this new potential referendum coinciding with payoff of prior debt, along with historically low interest rates, results in a very manageable tax increase.
Projects include replacing 30-year-old temporary classrooms at Wilson, Cleveland and Lincoln-Erdman Elementary Schools, building a gym at Wilson Elementary, and adding classrooms and small group instruction space at Pigeon River Campus, Sheridan and James Madison Elementary Schools. In addition, many building systems will be repaired or replaced, and safety and security systems will be upgraded.
To learn more, the District will be holding a series of public open houses at various schools. Each open house will begin with a short informational presentation. Attendees will also have an opportunity to ask questions at various information stations.
Community Open Houses:
- Tuesday, September 20 at 6:00 p.m. - Pigeon River Elementary Campus, 3508 North 21st St.
- Tuesday, September 27 at 10:00 a.m. - Central Administration Building, 830 Virginia Ave in the Board Room
- Tuesday, October 4 at 6:00 p.m. - Wilson Elementary School, 1625 Wilson Ave. in the Gym
- Wednesday, October 12 at 6:00 p.m. - Lincoln-Erdman Elementary School, 4101 North 50th St in the Cafeteria
- Wednesday, October 26 at 6:00 p.m. - Sheridan Elementary School, 1412 Maryland Ave in the Gym
Residents unable to attend an open house are encouraged to visit our website at www.sheboygan.k12.w.us/referendum. Questions about the referendum can be directed to the Superintendent’s Office at (920) 459-3511 or email@example.com.