1226 North Avenue
PRINCIPAL'S - MESSAGE
At Urban Middle School we strive to provide a comprehensive and academically challenging middle school experience for all students. As a middle school we are committed to supporting both the academic and social/emotional needs of our students. While middle school is a time for transition, you will find that your children adapt quickly to the culture here at Urban and find their ‘niche,’ both in and out of the classroom. Please encourage your children to participate in new experiences and activities here at Urban.
|We are committed to the success of every student. We work collaboratively in both small and large groups to address the needs of all students. In addition, you will find teachers with rooms full of students before and after school working to ensure that the students have mastered new concepts. I encourage you to contact your child’s teachers throughout the school year. You can also use the online grade book to monitor and celebrate academic successes.
Parent involvement is very important to the success of your children in our middle school. Here are a few ideas for helping your students have a successful middle school experience.
· Provide your children with manageable tasks that will help them develop organizational skills and responsibility.
· Encourage your children to try new things and to regard failure as a necessary part of learning and growing.
· Become knowledgeable about the needs and concerns of young adolescents during the middle school years.
· Help children turn their anxiety into positive action by learning about school rules, schedules, locker procedures and the availability of counseling.
· Attend school functions and stay involved in your child's schooling.
· Support children in their efforts to become independent.
|I am excited about the new initiatives for the upcoming school year and look forward to meeting each of you as we strive to make the school year a successful experience for everyone here at Urban Middle School.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have questions or concerns.
My door is always open!
Dr. Ted DiStefano