ATTENDANCE POLICY AND PROCEDURES
Because of Urban's commitment to improving student achievement, we are concerned when a child misses part of a lesson for any reason. The process of education requires instruction that is based on skill building, class participation, learning experiences, and study. Frequent tardies and absences affect your child’s learning opportunities.
We work very hard to ensure that your child receives the best education possible. We cannot do that if your child is not in school — on time, every day, when your child is healthy.
Please make sure that your student attends school every day and is on time. Discuss this issue with your child, pointing out the importance of being in the classroom and ready to learn when school begins. Do not hesitate to contact us to assist you and your student in anyway to improve school attendance.
Parents should contact the school each day their child is absent before 9:00 AM so that we may maintain accurate records. All absences must be accounted for by a parent or guardian calling the school at 459-3678. Leaving a recorded message is available 24 hours a day.
Students are expected to make up all school work missed because of an absence. It is the student’s responsibility to ask the teacher what work was missed. Do not expect the teacher to seek you out to tell you. Students who are suspended or truant will be given the opportunity to make up all work missed due to the absence for full credit.
HOMEWORK Via WebNotes
LEAVING THE BUILDING DURING THE DAY
If students need to leave school during the day, they must follow these procedures.
- Bring a note signed by your parent/guardian to the Student Services Office stating the reason and time to leave.
- Check in at the Student Services Office upon returning to school.
TARDY TO SCHOOL
Students arriving late to school (after 7:40 AM) must always check in with the student services attendance secretary before reporting to lockers and classes. Oversleeping, missing the bus, and missing a ride do not excuse tardiness.
In order to ensure our students continued success, students who now arrive late to school at…
- 7:40 – 7:50 AM
- Considered tardy for school
- First time they will given a warning by their 1st hour teacher
- 2nd Tardy = 10 minutes after school with the teacher
- 3rd Tardy = 20 minutes after school with the teacher
- 4th Tardy = 30 minutes after school with the teacher
- 5th Tardy or more = the teacher will write a major office discipline referral for each tardy resulting in after school detention
- 7:50 – 8:00 AM
- Lunch Detention for that day
- Time with teacher related to above points
- Later than 8:00 AM
- After school detention
- Two lunch detentions that will begin on the day it is issued
- Later than 8:15 AM
- It will be considered an unexcused absence for that period and each additional period
- The student will also receive the same consequences for an 8:00 AM arrival
If a student consistently arrives late to school, a teacher, counselor, and/or administrator will be contacting you regarding the accumulated absences and a meeting will be arranged.
If no change occurs, we will move toward a truancy citation in accordance with our state and local laws.
Please refer to the Urban office or SASD office for updated information.