INTERNET USE POLICY
A parent/guardian permission letter must be signed by both the parent/guardian and the student and returned to the student’s building before a student may use the Internet or other on-line services. District rules for use of these services will be printed on the back of that letter in a manner appropriate to the grade level of the student. Students who sign this letter thereby agree that they have been informed of and agree to abide by the rules of the Sheboygan Area School District, some of which are punishable by law. Violations of the rules may result in revocation of use of Internet/on-line privileges or other school disciplinary action and/or police referral if laws are violated.
All student Internet or on-line service use will take place in a supervised setting such as a classroom, lab or media center. All student use of Internet should be based on a specific planned educational purpose and/or topic.
Students using Sheboygan Area School District facilities to use the Internet or other services must follow these rules:
- All use of the Internet or other services must be in support of education or research and consistent with the policies and objectives of the District.
- Students must have their teacher’s permission to use the Internet or other services.
- Use of the network for illegal activity is not allowed.
- Use of the network to look at obscene or pornographic materials is not allowed.
- Any use for commercial or for profit purposes is not allowed, including product advertisement. This also includes buying, selling, and bartering, including but not limited to the use of credit cards.
- Damaging any computer equipment, information or on-line services is not allowed.
- Trying to view restricted information or networks is not allowed.
- Student must follow all copyright laws.
- Students may not use their personal on-line account from home.
- Use of the Internet or other services to harass other users or to send materials likely to be offensive or objectionable to other people is not allowed.
- Students will not place their or other persons’ last names, addresses, or telephone numbers on any Internet service.
Any problems or violation of these rules are to be reported to the supervising staff member.
OFF CAMPUS INTERNET USE - NOTICE TO STUDENTS AND PARENTS
Though internet social networking may be enjoyable or informative, please be aware of the following precautions:
- No reasonable expectation of privacy or assurance of the identity of people with whom a person communicates. Serious predators are frequently found using the internet.
- School discipline may be justifiable where a connection to the school is shown and a "material disruption" at school is demonstrated.
- Student's free-speech rights can be limited when the speech materially disrupts class work or involves substantial disorder or invasion of the rights of others.