Construction of Wilson School began in 1957 on eleven acres on the south side of Sheboygan along Wilson Avenue. The school doors opened for classes on January 3, 1959, at the original cost of $923,000.00.
Five additions were made to the building over the years: the annex was built in 1964, and the music room added in 1968. The final room addition was the mini-gym, which had been salvaged from Franklin School when it was torn down. This brought the total square footage to 58,302 square feet. In the fall of 1995 an elevator was added to address the need for handicap accessibility. A computer lab and two extra classrooms were built in 2001-2002 and two years after that, four more rooms were added to accommodate ELL and special education expansion.
Fred Schnell served as Wilson's first principal from 1959-1965.
John Hall's eighteen years as Wilson's second principal (1965-1983) were years of growth and challenge when classes sometimes exceeded forty students.
Thomas Binder was principal from 1983-1993. Under his leadership, Wilson School was recognized as a National School of Excellence in 1989.
John Pfaff came to Wilson in 1993. He was dedicated to Wilson's tradition of excellence and promoted a strong school/family/business partnership.
Tom Binder returned as principal in January 2000 when Mr. Pfaff became the district's Coordinator of Interventions/Special Programs. Wilson was recognized as a National Blue Ribbon School in 2005.
During the 2008-2009 school year, Wilson School celebrated 50 years of educating students. To commemorate this milestone, students and staff undertook the Pillar Project, adding to the uniqueness of our building.
Following Tom Binder's retirement in 2011, Charles Renzelmann became principal.