October 28, 2020
Dear Sheboygan Area School District families,
The Sheboygan Area School District will extend virtual learning at all schools two more weeks through Friday, November 13. Our anticipated return to in-person learning in the hybrid model is Monday, November 16. We will be in further communication as the date approaches or situation changes.
The decision was made after consideration of many factors, including the significantly increased number of COVID-19 cases in our community, the number of positive COVID-19 cases impacting students and staff, as well as the number of students and staff in quarantine.
No single metric provides a universal fit given the uniqueness of each school district. We continue to take the following guidance into account when discussing the safety of face-to-face schooling:
- Daily Sheboygan community data and Sheboygan County Division of Public Health discussions/recommendations
- 7-day average of new cases in our community at 25 or less new cases daily
- Burden rate - less than 50 cases per 10,000 residents over a 14 day period
- Stable or declining positivity rate over a 14-day period
- SASD Staffing and Student Illness/Quarantine Data
View the presentation to the Board of Education on October 27, 2020 which includes local data points used in decision making.
- Contact your school’s office if you have specific questions.
- All school buildings will be closed for in-person instruction, athletics/sports, co-curricular activities, and Community Recreation Department activities including child care, fitness centers, and facility rentals through November 13.
- Free Grab-n-Go Meals Extended - We are expanding our meal distribution while schools are in virtual learning.
- Meals can be picked up Monday-Friday from 7:30 - 11:00 a.m. at the door of the following school locations: Cleveland, Cooper, Grant, Jackson, Jefferson, Lincoln-Erdman, Longfellow, James Madison, Pigeon River, and Sheridan.
- Meals at North and South High Schools will be served Monday - Friday from 7:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
- Technology Support - Visit our Instructional Technology Support site for video tutorials and tips on how to use online learning platforms. Use our Online Help Desk to request support with your school-issued iPad or Chromebook. If “live” assistance is needed, your school’s library media specialists will have daily “live office hours” listed within the grade level slides linked above.
- Watch for More Information - We understand the stress this puts on families from a planning and/or childcare standpoint. We are hopeful we can return to hybrid learning on November 16. We will be consulting with our county health department and then communicating future plans with parents on November 11.
First Quarter ends on Friday, November 6. Grades will be posted in Skyward Family Access. Middle and high school grades will be posted by November 10 and elementary report cards will be posted by November 11.
Thank you for your patience and understanding. Please know that we are taking this action to protect the health and safety of our students, staff, and families.
If you have questions, please email the Sheboygan Area School District at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact your child’s school principal.
Seth A. Harvatine
Superintendent of Schools
Sheboygan Area School District