Spanish - Hmong
November 24, 2020
Dear Sheboygan Area School District families,
The Sheboygan Area School District will extend virtual learning at all schools through the end of the first semester. Our anticipated return to in-person learning is Monday, January 25.
Due to continued increase in community spread, coupled with the fact that most local and national health officials are predicting higher spikes after the holidays, we have decided to set our return to in-person learning at the end of the semester. However, if we see downward trends on our metric dashboard, we will revisit our decision and return to in-person learning sooner, if possible.
At the Board of Education meeting on Tuesday, November 24, the Sheboygan Area School District leadership team provided an update on the current numbers related to our data-based model that is used to guide our return to in-person learning. View the full presentation here which includes the most up-to-date local data points used in decision making.
- Sheboygan County Activity Rate - Burden Rate and Trajectory
- Case activity is a combination of burden rate and trajectory over a 14 day period
- Goal: 350 cases or less per 100,000 people
- Current: ‘Very High’ - 1886.2 per 100,000 people
- State of Minnesota Metric - Burden Rate
- Goal: Burden rate less than 50 cases per 10,000 residents over a 14 day period
- Current: 188.6 per 10,000 people
- Harvard/Brown Metric - 7-day Average of New Cases
- Goal: 7-day average of new cases in our community at 25 or less new cases daily
- Current: 153.5 per 100,000
- Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia - Positivity Rate
- Goal: Stable or declining positivity rate over a 7-day period
- Current: Trend is upward, with 7-day trailing average of 25.0%
- SASD Staff and Student COVID-19 Positive Cases
- Current: Students 313 - Staff 127
We are committed to understanding and evaluating relevant community health conditions in support of efforts to reopen our schools. These data points will be reviewed regularly and posted each Friday by 3 p.m. in a Dashboard on our website. In addition, we will report data and COVID-related updates every two weeks at our Board of Education meetings. Both the Dashboard and our Board reports will be posted on the Sheboygan Area School District website.
Please note, Tuesday December 8 will be the only Board of Education meeting in December.
- Contact your school’s office if you have specific questions.
- Free Grab-n-Go Meals Extended - We are expanding our meal distribution while schools are in virtual learning.
- Meals can be picked up Monday-Friday from 7:30 - 11:00 a.m. at the door of the following school locations: Cleveland, Cooper, Grant, Jackson, Jefferson, Lincoln-Erdman, Longfellow, James Madison, Pigeon River, and Sheridan.
- Meals at North and South High Schools will be served Monday - Friday from 7:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
- Technology Support - Visit our Instructional Technology Support site for video tutorials and tips on how to use online learning platforms. Use our Online Help Desk to request support with your school-issued iPad or Chromebook. If “live” assistance is needed, your school’s library media specialists will have daily “live office hours” listed here.
- High School Co-Curricular and Athletics - Opportunities for students to engage in co-curricular activities continue to be conducted virtually. As previously shared, the Fox River Classic Conference (FRCC) adopted a revised winter sports conference schedule with conference competitions starting on January 12th. Practice protocols and schedules are being reviewed and revised in order to allow students to participate. Specific details will be shared and discussed at the December 8th Board meeting and communicated to parents after the meeting.
- Watch for More Information - Our goal remains to return to in-person learning as soon as safely possible and we will communicate with parents again after our Board of Education meeting on December 8.
Thank you for your patience and understanding. Please know that we are taking this action to protect the health and safety of our students, staff, and families.
If you have questions, please email the Sheboygan Area School District at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact your child’s school principal.
Seth A. Harvatine
Superintendent of Schools
Sheboygan Area School District