Dear Sheboygan Area School District families,
The Sheboygan Area School District will extend virtual learning at all schools at least through Thanksgiving Break with a high probability of further extension due to the increasing community burden rate.
Since we announced our shift to all virtual learning on October 13, the number of positive COVID-19 cases in our community have continued to increase.
At the Board of Education meeting on Tuesday, November 10, the Sheboygan Area School District leadership team provided an update on the current numbers related to our data-based model that is used to guide our return to in-person learning. View the full presentation here which includes the most up-to-date local data points used in decision making.
- Sheboygan County Activity Rate - Burden Rate and Trajectory
- Case activity is a combination of burden rate and trajectory over a 14 day period
- Goal: 350 cases or less per 100,000 people
- Current: ‘Very High’ - 1,471.4 per 100,000 people
- State of Minnesota Metric - Burden Rate
- Goal: Burden rate less than 50 cases per 10,000 residents over a 14 day period
- Current: 147.1 per 10,000 people
- Harvard/Brown Metric - 7-day Average of New Cases
- Goal: 7-day average of new cases in our community at 25 or less new cases daily
- Current: 107.9 per 100,000
- Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia - Positivity Rate
- Goal: Stable or declining positivity rate over a 14-day period
- Current: Trend is upward, with 14-day trailing average of 20.1%
- SASD Staff and Student COVID-19 Positive Cases
- Current: Students 186, Staff 104
We are committed to understanding and evaluating relevant community health conditions in support of efforts to reopen our schools. These data points will be reviewed regularly and posted each Friday by 3:00 p.m. in a Dashboard on our website. In addition, we will report data and COVID-related updates every two weeks at our Board of Education meetings. Both the Dashboard and our Board reports will be posted on the Sheboygan Area School District website.
- Contact your school’s office if you have specific questions.
- Free Grab-n-Go Meals Extended - We are expanding our meal distribution while schools are in virtual learning.
- Meals can be picked up Monday-Friday from 7:30 - 11:00 a.m. at the door of the following school locations: Cleveland, Cooper, Grant, Jackson, Jefferson, Lincoln-Erdman, Longfellow, James Madison, Pigeon River, and Sheridan.
- Meals at North and South High Schools will be served Monday - Friday from 7:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
- Technology Support - Visit our Instructional Technology Support site for video tutorials and tips on how to use online learning platforms. Use our Online Help Desk to request support with your school-issued iPad or Chromebook. If “live” assistance is needed, your school’s library media specialist will have daily “live office hours” listed here.
- Watch for More Information - Our goal remains to return to in-person learning as soon as safely possible and we will communicate with parents again after our Board of Education meeting on November 24.
- High School Families - A Winter Co-curricular update will be emailed to high school students and parents on Wednesday, November 11.
Thank you for your patience and understanding. Please know that we are taking this action to protect the health and safety of our students, staff, and families.
If you have questions, please email the Sheboygan Area School District at email@example.com or contact your child’s school principal.
Seth A. Harvatine
Superintendent of Schools
Sheboygan Area School District