The Board of Education held a public hearing for the 2020-2021 school year budget on Tuesday, October 27 in the Sheboygan Area School District Central Administration Building.
Following the presentation, the Board of Education voted to approve the 2020-2021 budget in the amount of $152,619,387 and property tax levy in the amount of $36,978,916.
Key Points from the Budget Presentation:
- State general aid was increased by $1,277,821 (+1.78%)
- Increases in state aid do not increase the amount of revenue to the District. They do however decrease the amount of local tax levy.
- The District’s local tax levy is increasing by 1.50%.
- The District’s tax rate is decreasing by 7.69%.
- $3,354,207 of the District’s tax levy is used to fund the state private school voucher program. This amount will be deducted from the state aid received by the District. This is a $798,963 increase from the previous year.
- In 2019-20, local private schools that participate in the voucher program had a total enrollment of 1,174 students, with 405 students receiving vouchers (35%)
- In 2020-21, total enrollment for those private schools is 1,234 students (+60), with 493 (+88) students receiving vouchers (40%).